i ask myself the same thing. cries.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Stay with us and keep calm.
The last thing we need when we’re panicking, is to have someone else panicking with us.
- Offer medicine if we usually take it during an attack.
You might have to ask whether or not we take medicine- heck, some might not; but please, ask. It really helps.
- Move us to a quiet place.
We need time to think, to breathe. Being surrounded by people isn’t going to help.
- Don’t make assumptions about what we need. Ask.
We’ll tell you what we need. Sometimes; you may have to ask- but never assume.
- Speak to us in short, simple sentences.
- Be predictable. Avoid surprises.
- Help slow our breathing by breathing us or by counting slowly to 10.
As odd as it sounds, it works.WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T DO:
1. Say, “You have nothing to be panicked about.”
We know. We know. We know. And because we know we have nothing to be panicked about, we panic even more. When I realize that my anxiety is unfounded, I panic even more because then I feel like I’m not in touch with reality. It’s unsettling. Scary.
Most of the time, a panic attack is irrational. Sometimes they stem from circumstances — a certain couch triggers a bad memory or being on an airplane makes you claustrophobic or a break up causes you to flip your lid — but mostly, the reasons I’m panicking are complex, hard to articulate or simply, unknown. I could tell myself all day that I have no reason to be having a panic attack and I would still be panicking. Sometimes, because I’m a perfectionist, I become even more overwhelmed when I think my behaviour is “unacceptable” (as I often believe it is when I’m panicking). I know it’s all in my mind, but my mind can be a pretty dark and scary place when it gets going.
Alternate suggestion: Say, “I understand you’re upset. It is okay. You have a right to be upset and I am here to help.”
2. Say, “Calm down.”
This reminds me of a MadTV sketch where Bob Newhart plays a therapist who tells his patients to simply “Stop it!” whenever they express anxiety or fear. As a sketch, it’s funny. In real life, it’s one of the worst things you can do to someone having a panic attack. When someone tells me to “stop panicking” or to “calm down,” I just think, “Oh, okay. I haven’t tried that one. Hold on, let me get out a pen and paper and jot that down, you jerk.”
Instead of taking action so that they do relax, simply telling a panicking person to “calm down” or “stop it” does nothing. No-thing.
Alternate suggestion: The best thing to do is to listen and support. In order to calm them down without the generalities, counting helps.
3. Say, “I’m just going to leave you alone for a minute.”
Being left alone while panicking makes my heart race even harder. The last thing I want is to be left by myself with my troubled brain. Many of my panic attacks spark from over-thinking and it’s helpful to have another person with me, not only for medical reasons (in case I pass out or need water) but also it’s helpful to have another person around to force me to think about something other than the noise in my head.
Alternate suggestion: It sometimes helps me if the person I’m with distracts me by telling me a story or sings to me. I need to get out of my own head and think about something other than my own panic.
4. Say, “You’re overreacting.”
Here’s the thing: I’m not. Panic attacks might be in my head, but I’m in actual physical pain. If you’d cut open your leg, no one would be telling you you’re overreacting. It’s a common trope in mental health to diminish the feelings or experience of someone suffering from anxiety or panic because there’s no visible physical ailment and because there’s no discernible reason for the person to be having such a strong fear reaction.
The worst thing you can tell someone who is panicking is that they are overreacting.
Alternate suggestion: Treat a panic attack like any other medical emergency. Listen to what the person is telling you. Get them water if they need it. It helps me if someone rubs my back a little. If you’re in over your head, don’t hesitate to call 911 (or whatever the emergency services number is where you are). But please, take the person seriously. Mental health deserves the same respect as physical health.
Sorry for the really long post, I wanted to make sure I could get as much as I could in there. I saw these lovely posts and saw they all used to the same sites I do. So I combined theres, with some of mine that I love to use. I also added food, in here because I know I’m lazy so I thought you guys might appreciate it.
- convert anything to anything
- convert youtube videos to mp3
- download youtube videos
- download from 8tracks
- tricks to sleeping more
- what the fuck should I make for dinner
- what the fuck should I listen to now
- what the fuck should I do today
- what the fuck should I do with my life
- where the fuck should I go for drinks
- what’s the fucking weather
Fashion, makeup, hair:
- easy makeup tips
- eyeliner trick
- fashion guide/vocabulary
- makeup hacks
- Make up tips masterpost
- make up tips (more) (more) (more) (more) (more) (more)
- messy bun tutorial
- skirt types
- spoon tutorial
- winged eyeliner tutorial
Food in under 10 minutes:
Helpful for school (lots of writing tips):
- An already typed essay at your fingertips(type the subject and press random stuff and an essay forms)
- bibliography maker
- Didn’t listen in class?
- finals survival guide
- free microsoft word alternative
- homework help
- learn geography
- make flash cards
- math problem solver (2)
- Masterpost of writing software
- online ruler
- pull an all nighter but do well on your exam
- Stress Analyst
- when to go to sleep/wake up
- best learning website ever
- can’t remember the name of a song?
- check the trust level of any website
- consult this site before choosing a seat for your next flight
- find the name to the song
- is this website down for me or everyone?
- Less confusing view of the world time zones
- need a random number for a contest?
- never hit a dead end with a broken link
- self defense tips(x)
- survival tips
- upload anything from your iPhone etc. to your laptop
- wanna know how stuff works?
- watch movies/draw/everything??? with your online friends
- how to improve your self-esteem
- how to look busy at work/school
- how to love yourself
- how to pull an all nighted but do well on your exam
- how to study well
- how to survive College
- how to write an essay
- the best career fits for your star sign
- Bunch of cool things
- chrome extension tells you which tab is playing music
- delete yourself from web services
- donate food to people who are hungry (disable ad block)
- fake tweet generator
- HD celebrity images
- Play some online games like when we were kids
- prevent hangovers
- what font is that?
- working out master post
- how to download photoshop for mac for free
- how to download photoshop for pc for free
- in depth tutorial on how to make a gif
- pretty much any photoshop tutorial you will ever need
- photoshop help (2) (3) (4)
- resources for photoshop
- All Authors need to Know
- Alternatives to ‘said’
- Can’t remember a word?
- download free books
- download free kindle books
- Masterlist of study tips
- more writing tips
- read books online for free
- read/post fanfiction
- read/post stories
- Want to know who you write like?
- 10 sites to download free audio books
- all of the audio posts you’ve ever reblogged
- annoyed someone is asking you something they can find easily find them self?
- code for ask box
- easy way to make masterposts
- falling snow code for your tumblr theme
- find a gif reaction
- how to make tumblr themes
- html help
- install updates tab on a tumblr theme (x) (x)
- kawaii emoji’s
- mass tag replacer
- popular tumblr extentions (x) (x) (x)
- post limit checker
- theme hunter
- tumblr theme hunters (x) (x)
- see problems with your blog/website
- see your old themes
- url shortener
- does the opposite of ^^^
When you are bored:
- DIY household ideas
- silk - interactive generative art
- learn new things masterlist
- Paint a Nebula
- Super Mario
- silk - interactive generative art
- what should i do today?
When you are sad:
- break something
- cut something (blood) (tw!!)
- get a hug
- play cute games
- Receive Compliments
- see something cute
- the thoughts room
- A list of movies with links
- A list of scary movies with recovery
- A list of teen movies
- Disney Channel Movies from 1998-2013
- One of the best movie selections
- The Masterpost of other master posts to movies/tv shows
- Stream/watch tvs or movies
- tumblr dedicated to find finding movies
- watch free movies/tv shows
- when to pee during a movie
Hope these help you guys through out the year. Have a great year. :)
i thought this part was cute.lol
To tell you the truth. After my brother’s accident, there was nothing to smile about. But that person made me smile. Because of that person, I smiled a lot. Because of that person, I had fun. Strangely, even if I see that person, I’m not happy. My heart aches.
IF YOU ARE A FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL RIGHT NOW I ADVISE YOU TO DO YOUR BEST SERIOUSLY I THOUGHT HIGH SCHOOL WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN AND I DIDN’T DO SHIT AND NOW MY C’S ON MY FRESHMAN REPORT CARDS ARE KILLING ME IN MY COLLEGE APPS AND I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME TO DO BETTER SO PLEASE LISTEN TO ME IF YOU ARE A FRESHMAN GOOD GRADES ARE COOL
imagine if girls used the same style of joke to degrade men like “cool story bro now go chop some lumber”GO CHOP SOME LUMBER
"what r u doing out of the garage go fix my car"
"Don’t you have something to fix somewhere."
get some duct tape & fix that attitude
Don’t you have some jars you could be opening?